Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Thoughts on Tests

Surfing around different blogs the last couple of days, I noticed that quite a few bloggers have taken this "What Gender Is Your Brain?" test.

Respectable bloggers do not take such silly tests. (Even if they did, they wouldn't be caught displaying such frivolity on their blogs.) Think for a moment - when was the last time you saw something like this appear on mr brown's blog? Never. Or a respectable blog like mine? (Okay I did one before, but that was reeeaaallly long ago, so it doesn't count.)

But exceptional circumstances require exceptional responses.

I'm talking about my recent whimsical post, which for some strange reason seemed to have resonated particularly well with the female readers, which made me particularly uncomfortable.

The final sting came from a seemingly-casual remark by Agagooga, who asked

Why all girls here ah


Of course he knew that it wasn't all girls, but sneaking beneath that innocent-sounding question was really an insiduous attack on my masculinity.

Exceptional circumstances require exceptional responses.

What better way to prove the degree of my manhood than to take that "What Gender Is Your Brain?" test, especially since Singapore is such a numbers-oriented society, where everything is measured, quantified, and ranked, and without which no one will believe your quality?

Besides, exams will be starting at Ngee Ann in a few short weeks - what better time is there to attempt a couple of tests?

Okay, enough excuses, let's get on with the test.

I won't bore you with the questions, or how I answered them, but here are the results:





Your Brain is 46.67% Female, 53.33% Male



Your brain is a healthy mix of male and female

You are both sensitive and savvy

Rational and reasonable, you tend to keep level headed

But you also tend to wear your heart on your sleeve


This is pure, unadulterated BS of the highest grade!

Anyway, education experts know that tests, even multiple-choice ones, have fundamental flaws and lack objectivity, despite what most people mistakenly believe. This is an excellent example of a flawed and badly-designed test, where the cultural and psychological biases of the test designer based on certain gender stereotypes has resulted in an inaccurate test result.

The above result can thus be safely discarded.

Thankfully, there's something called a retest. Of course, I'll have to change some of the answers to offset the inherent bias of the test.





Your Brain is 33.33% Female, 66.67% Male



You have a total boy brain

Logical and detailed, you tend to look at the facts

And while your emotions do sway you sometimes...

You never like to get feelings too involved


I AM NOT ONE-THIRD FEMALE!!!







Your Brain is -10% Female, 110% Male



You have an absolute boy brain

Logical and detailed, you always look at the facts

You have not emotions or feelings.

You must be the Calm One!


Perfect. A little HTML knowledge can be useful in exceptional circumstances.

* * *

Still somewhat agitated by the results of the test, my eyes caught another one on the same site. "How Logical Are You?"

Of course I already know the answer; there's really no need to take the test to convince myself that I'm 100% logical.

But I do have a bit of time on my hands.

Besides, it's gonna be so easy, so it wouldn't take long.

And I can see how well-designed the test is - maybe it will have less bias than the previous test.


Well, the test was slightly more difficult than I expected - I actually had to think. And I needed to get 100%.





You Are Incredibly Logical





(You got 88% of the questions right)





Move over Spock - you're the new master of logic

You think rationally, clearly, and quickly.

A seasoned problem solver, your mind is like a computer!


Ptui!

I think I got distracted during the test. Retest!


It took me a while to find the offending question. It was really quite an easy question.





You Are Incredibly Logical





(You got 100% of the questions right)





Move over Spock - you're the new master of logic

You think rationally, clearly, and quickly.

A seasoned problem solver, your mind is like a computer!


You see, even if a test is well-designed, it is probably still not objective, because the test-taker may not be feeling well at that moment, or may have been distracted by various environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity levels, intensity of lighting, ah lians walking by - the possibilities are endless.

Thus my first result for this test is invalid. The second one reflects reality more accurately. And I didn't even touch the HTML!

* * *

The problem with such tests is that they can get rather seductive.

Especially when my eyes landed on "What Is Your Seduction Style?"

Very funny. I don't seduce people, so no harm trying out the test.





Your Seduction Style: The Natural





You don't really try to seduce people... it just seems to happen.
Fun loving and free spirited, you bring out the inner child in people.
You are spontaneous, sincere, and unpretentious - a hard combo to find!
People drop their guard around you, and find themselves falling fast.


*Sigh* If only it was true.

I'm tired of these tests.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home