Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Running for Leadership

Some of my friends have started taking up running of recent days thanks to the somewhat-impending NAPFA fitness test which would decide their fate after they graduate when they enter into military torment. It's almost heart-rending seeing some of them run, or at least valiantly try to run to last through the 2.4km of unadulterated misery.

Then you have the US elections on the other side of the globe, with countless bloggers airing voicing their opinions in the blogosphere. I, too, felt like I had to add in my own insightful assessment (ahem). I actually started typing a paragraph or so about my analysis and prediction of the elections when it hit me (quite painfully) that my views were really nothing new, and rather typical in fact.

Then I remembered reading in a Runner's World issue many months ago about the physical fitness of Bush. Even though the reporter was Democrat himself, he was almost gushing at the President's fitness and running ability.

I searched for the article in vain, but I found something more intruiging. This article, Bush, Kerry the latest to 'run' for president, says that Kerry is a good runner too (although not as good as Bush), and so is John Edwards. Hmmm...

Then I remember that Lee Kuan Yew used to jog regularly. Goh Chok Tong jogs. Lee Hsien Loong jogs (I think). If he does, then the current and past Prime Ministers of Singapore are all runners. (I remember reading somewhere that former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl is also a strong runner.)

I also recall seeing the Minister for Defense Teo Chee Hean pounding the pavement one weekend morning, as well as a previous Chief of Defence Force (LG Bey).

And guess what? The Ngee Ann Principal is a good runner too, I hear.

Looks like I'll be joining my friends real soon.

11 Comments:

Blogger Popagandhi said...

I used to run competitively though the last time I ran alot was before my A levels. There is no better way to remember details about the nuclear crisis and the berlin standoff than by going for a 1 hour run.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Bubblemunche said...

Jogging is fun! When I jog I, otherworldly affairs fail to concern me... because I'll be so spent by then ;)

7:10 PM  
Blogger calm one said...

Actually I run relatively regularly - once a week - and I can outrun most of my (unfit) friends. My 2.4km time is around 10:30. But I can't say I enjoy running that much, mostly because the thoughts that run through my mind tend to be the morbid kind when I'm running. I prefer shooting basketballs to clear my mind, and I can do that for hours. Some friends call me a geek-jock.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

For me, I don't really like running. When I play football I can really push myself, but when it comes to just running alone, I don't know why I can't. I prefer running with a football. Haha.

I guess why most leaders choose running as their sport is because that's the only low-risk injury sport that they can do. I'm sure your brittle bones won't be able to take playing football when you're 65. Haha..

11:28 PM  
Blogger calm one said...

Running isn't really low-risk. Competitive runners often get injuries. One reason why I avoid running more than once a week is I know some of my injuries (esp knee) will get aggravated if I run too much. That's also why I don't do much sports these days.

9:36 AM  
Blogger yj said...

I recall failing my NAPFA before enlisting almost 6 years ago (and here I am, still in NS, old and bitter). It's really not that bad to do those additional 8 weeks -- conditioning before the actual crap, supposed bonding with fellow suckers, etc.

11:07 PM  
Blogger calm one said...

yj: What's the opposite of "sour grapes"? I like your sweet-grapes attitude =)

I think I can do without the additional 8 weeks of crap. And there's way too much time for the bonding thank you =)

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calm one you muz be feeling rather bored not able to run abt as before i supp...
Exercise is a good form of staying healthy but word of advice is to do so moderately to prevent injuries incurred.... definitely feels awful to take the back seat watching others run..


^_^

5:54 PM  
Blogger calm one said...

Yeah I used to be a better runner etc (I'm sounding so old), but running is not something I really enjoy, and no I don't get bored when I don't run - I get worried cos my stamina would drop. I haven't run for the past couple of weeks already because of the rain and other excuses =)

11:55 PM  
Blogger Tri Elite said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Tri Elite said...

I thought you were damn hilarious when I read through all your previous entries. Hahaa.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home