Monday, November 08, 2004

Fishy Business

I was at the Chinese Food Stall in canteen 1 ordering dinner not too many days ago. Here's the exchange that ensued, translated idiomatically into English:

"Little boy, how old are you?"

The stallholder is a little too friendly for comfort, so I pretend not to hear. And no one calls me "little boy"!!!

"Are you 20 yet?" she persists.

Aunty, I'm probably half your age!

"More or less," I reply as vaguely as possible. So her persistance is paying off, as I try not to be rude.

As I pay for my order, a canteen cleaner stops by the stall.

"You know what I'm doing? I'm fishing!" declares the stallholder to her cleaner friend, "I'm fishing!" she repeats gleefully, jabbing her finger in my direction, while I pretend not to notice.

"Ignore her," the cleaner advises me, shaking her head, "she's crazy."

I know.

9 Comments:

Blogger fruitsyrup said...

oh my holy gawd, you are the bait for her! she is the fisher! she is fishing you! you go, little boy! :P

1:09 PM  
Blogger Zen|th said...

That's right. She was probably "fishing" for you. Haha. Well, weird people are everywhere but as long as they're harmless, they're pretty amusing. Haha.

2:09 PM  
Blogger FF said...

You look so young ah?

People always think i'm 17. Annoying.

3:01 PM  
Blogger calm one said...

FF: good to look young what... so many women are dying (and paying loads of $$$) just to look young.

dollie & zenith: laughing at my expense eh??? I lost my appetite after that episode...

3:31 PM  
Blogger Bubblemunche said...

Keke, like that good what! Can have a larger portion of the makan :D! Kekeke....

8:00 PM  
Blogger sari said...

sounds creepy but quite ... flattering? LOL!!! My sis was from there.. Ngee Ann Poly must be fun!!

10:37 PM  
Blogger calm one said...

bubble: what's the use of a larger portion if I lose my appetite? and quit laffing already!!!

michelle: it's not flattering anymore when you know she's probably more than double my age and her vision is failing. and you stop laffing too!!!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Bubblemunche said...

Hey man, maybe she was trying to scout for a potential son-in-law for her babelicious daughter or something ;)

11:30 AM  
Blogger calm one said...

Darn it... you may be right!! I must visit the stall again soon!
But... how to find out if it's really for her daughter and not herself? And how to find out if the daughter is indeed babelicious? I'm not much of a gambler u know...

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home