Friday, October 22, 2004

Of Coessentialism, ThinkPads, and Macs

In many "primitive" cultures around the world, if you're born at the same moment with an animal, say, a cat, it would be believed that you basically share the same life experiences with the cat, and both of you share the same soul, will, or consciousness. And if you dream, your dreams will often be interpreted from the perspective of your "coessential" animal, in this case the cat.

And if the cat falls sick, you will fall sick also.

Of course, with modern advances in medicine and psychology, we know the sickness is psychosomatic (mind over body). Even then, coessentialism still exists in our modern culture, where we seem to have coessential things.

Like Yiling's blog entry entitled heartpain which was the inspiration of my post:

i dropped my precious.... my laptop!! realli hard on the floor.. heart break alreadi..


Which also reminds me of the time when IBM was selling their ThinkPads at NP, and the salesguy was raving to me about the notebook's Active Protection System which protects the ThinkPad if it gets knocked off the table and crashes onto the ground.

Being a hardcore skeptic, I wasn't too convinced by the video demo of the Active Protection System, nor was I particularly impressed by his 5cm drop test.

"Eh.. it's only 5cm leh... why don't you drop it from the table onto the ground, like what they show on the video?"

He hesitated and gave me a nervous grin.

"Well you don't have to, I mean, I'm not even planning to buy your product - I'm a happy Mac user - but hey, it looks like you don't really believe in your product!"

I was about to turn away when his ego got the better of him. Or maybe he did believe in his product.

"Okay I'll show you!" he declared proudly, voice slightly wavering.

It was painful watching him lift the ThinkPad off the table, hold it above 2-and-a-half-feet of thin air, and wince as he let gravitational effects take over. I felt bad for him.

The crash was loud. Our brave salesguy quickly picked it up, snapped an out-of-place corner back in place, and declared that everything was A-OK, as advertised. He even admitted to me that he'd have to pay for the ThinkPad if it was damaged.

It's not so easy to impress a Mac user, but man was I impressed. I even gave a few nods of approval and mumbled a "not bad..." Good salesguy.

There's no way I'm gonna do that to my Mac. Coessentialism. Too painful.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bubblemunche said...

The Thinkpad is Dour,
The Thinkpad looks Antique.
The Thinkpad is Fugly,
But I oh so want it :)

I'm been zombified by the Evil Corporations already.

11:28 PM  
Blogger rayz said...

Oh dear... hope your lappy is still ok... btw... thanks for dropping by at my blog. www.raymond.worshipsingapore.com one... :)

10:33 AM  
Blogger calm one said...

Bubblemunche:
Get the new iBook instead.
Here's why:
1. Girls would start looking in your direction (at the iBook, but at least that's a start)
2. It would boost your sex appeal
3. Some girls may actually approach you (and ask about your iBook)
4. Your cool factor would jump by a few points
5. So would your IQ
6. Less stress (no virus, no service pack 2, etc)
7. Overall, you'll be a happier person =)

rayz:
Nah I didn't drop my laptop, so it's still ok =)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Bubblemunche said...

I promise to convert if you would kindly provide a sponsorship :)

6:29 PM  
Blogger calm one said...

If I had enough dough to sponsor you, I'd get myself a new PowerBook first! But check out Adri's blog entry on how she's been getting people to switch. Pay her a visit at AppleCentre Orchard and maybe you'll switch without a sponsorship =)

11:26 AM  
Blogger Yiling said...

harlow.. was just wondering.. how did u get to my blog?

7:41 PM  
Blogger calm one said...

Yiling: my reply is on your tagboard =)

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home