Thursday, October 21, 2004

Break-Up Lines and Philosophy

I saw a no-so-happy couple at the atrium (no, not the couple that was featured in And They Lived Happily Ever After and Temper Tantrums). I deduced that they were unhappy from the sullen look on the guy's face, as well as the tears on the girl's face.

I love lovers' tiffs!

Unfortunately I was in a hurry, so I didn't hang around to chronicle the events that followed. But my guess was that one of them wanted to break-up (probably the guy), and the other had other ideas.

I suppose my hypothesis was subconsciously influenced by this interesting and entertaining blog entry ("Philosophy in Questionable Taste") with a whole collection of break-up lines of philosophers.

Here are a few that I like:
The Anti-Solipsist: There’s someone else.
The Empiricist: I think we should see other people.
The Hard Determinist: It’s not my fault.
Plato: Not enough dialogue.


Of course, many of them I couldn't appreciate due to my ignorance. Anyway, I contributed some to the list:
Plato: Can’t we just be platonic?
Einstein: I think we are too closely related.
Foucault: I think I’m gay.
Ockham: You don’t shave.

but I kinda regret the Foucault one since gay culture wasn't his greatest concern, or was it?

But this is my favourite:
Freudian: Mom, I think this relationship has gone a bit too far.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bubblemunche said...

Dear fellow voyeur/blogger: I've read through all your entries, and I'm quite sure you'll ace your SATS ;)

I miss my poly days. You're in Mass Comm or Film + Media? Can't access your profile.

11:01 AM  
Blogger calm one said...

Wow thanks for reading. I don't know whether to feel flattered or embarrassed =)

I'm kind of a paranoid android, so I prefer to stay ambiguous and anonymous - I don't even want to reveal my course, but no I'm not from any of the media courses.

And you've got a great blog yourself; one of the few sg blogs I don't mind revisiting =)

12:48 PM  
Blogger emily garnhart said...

I found your blog interesting and useful. I added your blog to my favorites and i will come to visit again tomorrow. I have a blog about how to get him back after a break up :)

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home